I'm just beginning to get the feel of the excited rush of creative juices which comes to me from being engaged in a creative endeavour. I felt it for years while making copper mobiles; I feel it now for photography, for creating a composition and then putting emotions into it.
I have to get a camera! a photographer friend of mine recommended a Canon Rebel; after thinking of it for a week while talking walks with Bella, I think a SLR is quite a bit larger and requires at least one larger lens. and therefore a case. All of which does not work well with walking a dog. So now I am leaning towards an ultra-compact point and shoot camera: seems like the Canon PowerShot SD 940 is the best combination of price ($300++) and photo quality; it also has the most manual controls. check out http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sd940-is/4505-6501_7-33765912.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jerry,
ReplyDeleteIt's the photographer, not the camera that makes good pictures. That said, here are my recommendations if you decide to get a new camera. (Best source for reviews of any product, in my opinion, is http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-camera-reviews. Best because they summarize the findings of about 25 magazines which review cameras and other electronics.)
1. Use Julie's camera: it's very compact, takes excellent pictures and the price is right.
2. Get the Canon A1100 IS. $150. Similar to mine. I like it because it has an optical viewfinder, which is useful when bright sunlight makes it impossible to see the image on the LCD. That feature is found on some Canon models but is gone from most small cameras these days. I also like it because it uses readily available AA batteries. It has a few manual features, but I rarely use them. It's a little heavier than the subcompact cameras but lighter than a digital SLR. See: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113
3. In the subcompact category I like these Canon models: SD1200 IS ($175), SD780 IS ($200), and Consumersearch's number one SD990 IS ($300). They all have the optical rangefinder but do not use AA batteries. The SD990 IS has a fantastic range of manual controls, useful for intermediate photographers.
4. In the digital SLR category, for advanced amateurs, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xsi ($700) gets top reviews. See: http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-slr-camera-reviews. Excellent photos, loads of manual controls, much faster time interval between pictures, what you see is what you get, many lenses available. Consider getting the body only ($500) and then buying one lens (from Sigma or Tamron) which goes from wide angle to long telephoto. (About $300.)
Check also with Patrick, who is interested in advance amateur equipment: Nikon D5000.
Happy shopping,
Dan